How would Vonnegut have responded to the successful secrets meme? Maybe something like this:
1. A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.
2. We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.
3. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’
4. We are human only to the extent that our ideas remain humane.
5. What should young people do with their lives today? Many things,
obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in
which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.